Sunday, May 12, 2013

Movie #90- "The Crow" (1994)

It's a shame that Brandon Lee's career was cut so short.  Given his performance in "The Crow", especially with his post death character Eric, you could tell he was poised for some solid work ahead.  While I was drawn to the actor during a majority of his scenes, the overall movie left me somewhat disappointed.  I realize the cult following "The Crow" maintains, but for me, this was another instance of style over substance.
I'm not a reader of graphic novels or comics, so I can't make the comparison of how faithful the film was to its source material though I've seen my fair share of adaptations.  Director Alex Proyas does an excellent job of letting this goth world unfold for the viewer.  Darkness and shadows invade nearly every scene.  The darkness also permeates the theme, of a tortured soul brought back to life for the purpose of vengeance.  While Proyas has created a cool atmosphere for the characters to roam, it's the villains and pre-death Eric that I found lacking.
Each of the villains has been given a colorful trait and true, they've perpetrated a horrible act against Eric and his fiancee.  But they just seem to be a basic pack of hoodlums.  Eric has been given a special life force that doesn't seem necessary for his vigilante acts (except for a big fight scene toward the end).  And while Michael Wincott adds menace as the leader, his endgame plan comes off as weak and boring.
My other issue was with pre-death Eric.  In the flashback sequences, he's appears to be too nice of a guy.  He plays guitar for some faceless rock band, helps a neighbor child and has a seemingly storybook romance.  Tragic circumstance can change a person as evidenced by many of the graphic novel back stories.  This one just seems too abrupt.
Again, "The Crow" creates a great tone and mood, I just wish it had a stronger payoff.


Rating: 6/10
Movies I've previously seen: 6
First time viewings: 84

No comments:

Post a Comment