Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Movie #75- "Spartacus" (1960)

"Spartacus" is epic film making and proudly announces that from the start.  How?  It opens with an overture, followed by an extended credits sequence.  "Spartacus" makes you wait with anticipation for almost eight minutes before anything actually happens.  When it does, a spectacle unfolds before you.
"Spartacus" is also one of those movies that deserves a lot of commentary.  For some reason, I've been at a loss of words when describing it.  I can tell you that I was fortunate enough to watch a restored version.  When you compare it to some of the extras, you can see the marvelous care that took place. 
The film is over three hours long (even when you subtract the overture and credits), yet it wastes very little time in telling the story (true, there are plenty of expansive crowd shots to remind you it's an epic).  Stanley Kubrick directed "Spartacus", but since he stepped in at the last moment, this is more the baby of Kirk Douglas.  Good performances by Douglas, Tony Curtis, and Laurence Olivier, although I tip my hat to Peter Ustinov as the weaselly Batiatus.  And of course, it all builds to the "I am Spartacus!" scene.
Not much insight into the film, but another classic I can cross off the list.


Rating: 9/10
Movies I've previously seen:6
First time viewings: 69

No comments:

Post a Comment