Thursday, June 6, 2013

Movie #94- "Foxy Brown" (1974)

This one popped up as a suggestion from Netflix, I believe under the "Action and Adventure" heading.  I was curious since while I'm vaguely familiar with the blaxploitation genre of the 1970s, I had actually never watched one.  No Shaft... no Superfly... no Dolemite... none of these films had been part of my viewing experience.  I had a slight notion on what to expect, but thankfully I was greeted with some cheesy goodness. 
The plot and action zing all over the place as if the producers had a checklist of ideal scenarios and wanted to squeeze them all into one movie.  They start with the standard murder and drugs, then throw prostitution into the mix.  Can't have prostitution without nudity and maybe a rape scene.  Need more?  How about a fight in a lesbian bar?  I've got one... death by propeller.  Are we missing anything?  Oh, wait, we forgot castration.  One outrageous scene leads to another, with the bar being raised each time.
Pam Grier is definitely on her game as Foxy as is Antonio Fargas as her brother Link.  However, I didn't care too much for Kathryn Loder as the evil Katherine Wall .  I've read several posts praising her performance in this film, but to me, she came off as catatonic and bored with the material.  She should have had more malevolent fun with the role.
"Foxy Brown" is truly dated, but still entertaining work.  The 94 minute running time flies by, although some of the soap opera aspects weaken the film (giving one of the prostitutes a family, which leads to an odd and awkward confrontation).  Good late night viewing.


Rating: 5/10
Movies I've previously seen: 6
First time viewings: 88

No comments:

Post a Comment