Sunday, June 9, 2013

Movie #96- "Dark Shadows" (2012)

Since I missed "Dark Shadows" in theaters, this turned into another edition of MCR (Movie Channel Roulette). I remember "Dark Shadows" when I was a kid.  One of the stations would run it during the afternoon, and I would occasionally catch an episode during summer vacation.  I don't recall the soap opera nature of the show, but like most people, can recollect the character of Barnabas Collins.
I had a passing interest in the "Dark Shadows" the movie, especially given to collaboration of Johnny Depp and Tim Burton.  Suffice to say, Depp and Burton may need a divorce... or a trial separation at the very least.  Burton has always been a mystery to me.  The man has an incredible eye for the visual, but I usually find the stories lacking.  My favorite Burton movies weren't the splashy remakes or revisions or whatever you want to call them.  "Ed Wood", "Big Fish", and "Frankenweenie" were films populated by oddball characters, yet had a heart at the center of the story.
With "Dark Shadows", there is an attempt to mix a monster movie and camp, and for me, it really doesn't work.  Depp appears to be having a good time in the role of Collins and the rest of the cast plays along.  But the story is weak and a grand opportunity is wasted.

Rating: 4/10
Movies I've previously seen: 6
First time viewings: 90

No comments:

Post a Comment