Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Movie #117- "The Omen" (1976)

I guess my expectations for "The Omen" were a little different than what unfolded on screen.  As I've mentioned before, the horror genre isn't exactly a favorite, especially since the onset of the slasher film.  I don't find gore generally scary, but if it's done inventively or with a bit of style (tongue in cheek doesn't hurt), I can get on board.  I enjoy the occasional supernatural thriller, notably if the film messes with your mind.  I had those hopes for "The Omen", which unfortunately failed for me in that aspect.
"The Omen" seems to center around the prospect of a child that may be the Antichrist.  I remember the movie opening in the mid 70s and the creepiness surrounding the child known as Damien.  So I had some excitement to sit and watch this classic horror tale.  But I guess my disappointment came with the fact that Damien, the actual character, isn't really in enough of the movie.  The child (Harvey Stephens) has a very cold demeanor, and he's usually presented with an air of menace.  A perfect example is the tricycle scene, in which Damien hastily rumbles through the house, ready to knock his mother off a ladder, plunging to the floor.  The kid kind of freaks me out (as did the crazy nanny that protects Damien).
Once we become fearful of the dreaded Damien, "The Omen" takes us on a trip through Europe as Gregory Peck attempts to connect the dots between his "son" and the terrible events that have occurred.  And while the film tries to build tension, I found several of the revelations silly, including a scene involving a cemetery and pack of dogs.  There is also a beheading scene I recall being discussed which played better in my mind than what appears.  Some special effects lose their charm over time.
One funny note as I almost made a comment about Hollywood trying to remake this film, totally forgetting that it had been done in 2006.  Apparently that one didn't do well enough to warrant a sequel like the original.

Rating: 5/10
Movies I've previously seen: 6
First time viewings: 111

No comments:

Post a Comment