Friday, August 30, 2013

Movie #121- "My Left Foot" (1989)

Is Daniel Day-Lewis the best actor currently working in film?  I would probably put him in the top five mainly as there are several of his performance I haven't seen.  In looking at his filmography, counting "My Left Foot", I have seen five of his film performances, three of which Day-Lewis won an Oscar.  Of the remaining two, he was nominated for one ("Gangs of New York") while receiving a nomination for a Golden Globe in the other ("Nine").  Hard to compile a list when you've only seen the best of his work.  However, he also doesn't churn out an endless string of films as he's only appeared in 9 films over the last 20 years.
What I've noticed is that Day-Lewis brings a dramatic intensity that is rarely seen with such consistency (again, I know a five film sample is small).  His talent provides the strength to elevate a movie.  I point to "There Will Be Blood" as an example.  While I found that film to be long and sometimes plodding, you still could not take your eyes away from what he poured into the screen.  His character of Daniel Plainview was larger than the movie itself, sweeping the viewer into his world.  His approach to Lincoln was similar, although in that case, he had a better supporting cast and a greater conflict.
Christy Brown may not dominate the screen in the same fashion, but that does not diminish the performance.  However, unlike "There Will Be Blood", "My Left Foot" provides a balance for Day-Lewis in the character of his mother, played with care by Brenda Fricker.  The film not only examines the difficulties Brown faced with cerebral palsy, it also focuses on the love of family, especially Brown's mother.  She's a woman who takes special care of her child, worrying about how he's treated by others while believing in his ability even when he is a less than pleasant person.
This is one of the few films I wish had been longer as it locks in at a tidy 103 minutes.  The relationship between Brown and his mother was tender and touching, yet I would have liked to have learned more about the rest of the family including his tough and stern father.  And while I shine accolades on Day-Lewis, Hugh O'Conor should also receive notice for his portrayal of the young Christy Brown.
A powerful movie that shows the triumph of the human spirit and some of the frailties that can befall us, disabled or not.

Rating: 9/10
Movies I've previously seen: 6
First time viewings: 115

No comments:

Post a Comment