Sunday, March 3, 2013

Movie #52- "Deliverance" (1972)

Worst... canoe trip... ever.  At least for Ned Beatty.  And Ronny Cox.
Like the Bond movies, this is another one I remember from network television and the "ABC Sunday Night Movie."  We usually spent Sunday at our grandparents, so we generally would hit the road mid movie.  Up to this viewing, I never knew how the movie concluded.  I'm not going to spoil it here.
I did something different with this film as it's the first one in which I watched the DVD extras.  John Boorman had several interesting things to say about "Deliverance".  In the past, I've mentioned the richness of films created during the 1970s.  Boorman talks more in detail about that fact, on how the studio left them alone, allowing Boorman to make the film he intended.  No studio notes, focus groups, comment cards, or any other elements that now factor into films.
Another comment that caught me was the inclusion of the "squeal like a pig" sequence.  Apparently, that part of dialogue was intended for the television version of the film.  After shooting it, they felt it worked better than the original dialogue.  And so an often quoted portion of "Deliverance" was born.
As to the film itself, I consider it a piece of modern horror.  Four ordinary men, taking a trip where an unspeakable, yet potentially real episode occurs, and they might find in the strength to save themselves from the situation.  I'm just surprised this hasn't become a reality series. 

Rating: 9/10
Movies I've previously seen: 4
First time viewings: 48

No comments:

Post a Comment