Sunday, March 24, 2013

Movie #68- "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" (1975)






A continuation of my love for movies from the 1970s. 
I'm not much of a book reader, yet I have actually read the book in which the movie is based.  That was back in my junior high days, so I have very little memory of the printed word from over 35 years ago.  My book choices were very simple in those days.  Either books revolving around comedy or books that were tied to movies.  It didn't matter if the movie was adapted from the book or vice versa.  I wasn't a purist, just seemingly interested in the difference between the two (I say seemingly because I haven't seen all the movies tied to the books I read.  "2001" is also on the list.)
Jack is ultimate Jack here.  He won an Oscar for his performance and his scenes with Louise Fletcher (also an Oscar winner) crackle with conflict.  Both are determined to break the other.  Some have referred to Nurse Ratched as a horrible person, but misguided might be a better description.  In her mind, the structure and group sessions will help the patients.  The rush of the power trip is an added bonus for her.  Yet is Jack's R.P. McMurphy any better by claiming insanity to ditch work detail?
Several familiar faces dot the landscape with my favorite secondary character the Chief.  The novel is written from his point of view, and you watch the character go from silent, non-entity to a strong-willed individual.  Though it wasn't McMurphy's original intention, he helps free that character along with the several others, but finally at great cost to himself.
"One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" won 5 Oscars, beating "Jaws" and "Dog Day Afternoon" that year for Best Picture.  Again, I can't express enough my growing love for movies from that decade.


Rating: 10/10
Movies I've previously seen: 5
First time viewings: 63

No comments:

Post a Comment