Saturday, March 9, 2013

Movie #55- "Puss In Boots" (2011)

Another edition of Movie Channel Roulette, and this time I went with an animated feature.  Puss in Boots was introduced in the second Shrek movie, gaining some attention as a supporting character.  I haven't seen any of the films beyond "Shrek 2", although I know Puss in Boots played a part in the following two movies.  As the Shrek series wound down, apparently producers felt Puss had enough mojo for a spin-off.  I see the logic in the move, but the payoff is lacking.
Puss is given a back story in this film, while a couple classic fairytales are woven into the plot.  Puss grows up with Humpty Dumpty (middle name: Alexander), climbs the beanstalk in search of the goose that lays the golden eggs, and battles Jack and Jill.  Not a bad combination.
Unfortunately, I found Puss a fairly one-dimensional character.  He works as a supporting player; a fearless, swashbuckling cat, that occasionally uses the cute, big-eyed routine to get out of tricky situations.  In the role of leading player, I found him rather dull.  Again, since I've haven't seen the last two Shrek movies, I don't know how Puss in Boots has been developed.  For me, the highlight of the film is Zach Galifanakis, who voices Humpty.  This is a character with dark secrets and a twisted idea of friendship.
Overall, the kids will like it because it is fairly fast-paced and will keep them entertained.  As an adult, it just didn't hold my attention as well.

Rating: 6/10
Movies I've previously seen: 4
First time viewings: 51

No comments:

Post a Comment