Sunday, March 10, 2013

Movie #58- "Inglourious Basterds" (2009)

Christoph Waltz recently hosted Saturday Night Live and one of the sketches was a Tarantino parody called "Djesus Uncrossed".  I admit that I enjoy humor that isn't afraid to cross the line, and this skit made me laugh enough to watch it twice.  It also got me in the mood to revisit "Inglourious Basterds", especially since my wife had missed it the first time around.  Here's are a couple things I noted about the second viewing of "Inglourious Basterds":
1) You really catch things you may have missed the first time.  Whether it's the dialogue, the action, or maybe what initially seems as a throwaway moment, Tarantino really packs several layers into his movies.
2) You get the re-live a couple great performances, especially from Waltz and Brad Pitt.  In Waltz, Tarantino has created a character that is well-schooled, charming, yet incredibly threatening and scary.  Meanwhile Pitt seems to be having the time of his life.
3)  On the downside, the element of surprise is taken away.  One of the great aspects of Tarantino is his ability to take the viewer to unexpected places.  Here, he rewrites history in a grand and explosive fashion.  That knowledge can let the steam out of a fantastic ride.  But I did find myself getting excited for the reaction of a first time viewer, knowing what was to follow.
I would like to go back to the "Kill Bill" movies to see if these points hold true.  There is a bit more distance involved, so the memory may be hazier.  Regardless, Tarantino films do not disappoint.

Rating: 8/10
Movies I've previously seen: 5
First time viewings: 53

No comments:

Post a Comment