Saturday, July 13, 2013

Movie #110- "Friends with Kids" (2011)

As you've probably noticed, there haven't been many romantic-comedies on the list.  I'm not entirely adverse to the genre, but they don't exactly provide me with inspiration as a film viewer.  When I watch one, I can usually put aside the absurd situation that ensues for a good cast and a well-written script.  "Friends with Kids" popped up as a Netflix suggestion, and the cast was truly a draw.  Another plus was its star/writer/director Jennifer Westfeldt. 
It's been a few years since I watched "Kissing Jessica Stein", which came out in 2001.  That was a film that Westfeldt wrote, starred in, and co-produced.  I don't have a lot of recollection of the actual movie other than I remember enjoying it. In this case, Westfeldt takes the romance/marriage/baby progression and throws it out of order, putting the baby first.  Unlike most rom-coms, the two characters in question (Adam Scott and Westfeldt) start as friends instead of opposite forces that somehow come together.  They are part of a larger circle of friends, consisting of two other couples.  Immediately you know where the relationship will finish, but Westfeldt is interested in looking how children can effect the dynamic of a couple.  Can romance continue once a child enters the picture?  Since it is a rom-com, you'll get the extreme ends of the spectrum. 
I found the cast of "Friends with Kids" solid, although my view may be tainted by my enjoyment of their previous work.  Scott and Chris O'Dowd are two comedic actors that I've taken notice of lately while I've liked Kirsten Wiig and Maya Rudolph since their Saturday Night Live days.  I also have to admire Jon Hamm for his continual ability to display his comedic chops (my wife always refers to his looks as a "cartoon pilot", which I believe was a "30 Rock" line).  And while I don't find Megan Fox as a good actress, I will give her credit for surrounding herself with funny people in a smaller movie. 
Overall, the script provides several funny moments along with a few emotional ones.  I feel the predictability of the finale hurts "Friends with Kids" in the end as I just saw the couple as simply friends.

Rating: 7/10
Movies I've previously seen: 6
First time viewings: 104

No comments:

Post a Comment