Sunday, July 14, 2013

Movie #111- "8 1/2" (1963)

This film deserves a higher rating.  I'm positive that a second viewing would yield a higher score.  In fact, I have placed "8 1/2" on my list of movies that warrant a second viewing.  I didn't give this film an 8 for a sense of irony.  There appears to be so much occurring on the screen, that I feel I didn't fully comprehend the filmmakers vision.  This is the kind of work that prompts lengthy articles and papers along with a deep analysis.  "8 1/2" is a film that demands multiple viewings to peel away at the many layers.
The plot is simple to summarize.  Marcello Mastroianni plays a director, Guido, trying to relax while in search of his next project.  This attempt does not come easy as he is surrounded by former co-workers looking to become a part of his next film.  Add to the drama, the women of his life... wife, a mistress, actresses.  Fellini creates an autobiographical film, shining a light on the ups and downs of film making.  The narrative occasionally gets interrupted by flashbacks and fantastic fantasy sequences as Guido wrestles with a new idea.
"8 1/2" is a visual feast, a movie with plenty of style (I wish I had watched the Criterion edition).  The dialogue is in Italian, meaning the film is subtitled.  I don't have a problem with subtitles, but there are moments of the film when the dialogue flies by and your concentration focuses on the words rather than the visuals.  Several times during the film, I found myself going back to capture what I had missed.
I have heard of the beauty of a Fellini film, and unfortunately I had never experienced it until now.  Hopefully a second viewing will provide a greater understanding of the work.

Rating: 8/10
Movies I've previously seen: 6
First time viewings: 105

No comments:

Post a Comment