Thursday, February 14, 2013

Movie #36- "Kramer Vs. Kramer" (1979)

When this movie was released, I was 15 years old (yeah, I'm giving away my age).  Not exactly the demographic for a film about single parenthood and a custody case.  Over the years, while I've wanted to sit down and watch "Kramer Vs. Kramer", I would always find something else I wanted to see.  Not a high priority movie in my world.  So when this popped up as a suggestion, I figured it was about time.
Dustin Hoffman and Meryl Streep both won Oscars for their performances, and it may be hard to argue especially with Streep's loving, yet seemingly distant mother.  "Kramer Vs. Kramer" also walked away with the Best Picture Oscar, up against "Apocalypse Now", "Norma Rae", "Breaking Away", and "All That Jazz".  A solid group of nominees and I'm sure a debate could be made for each picture. 
True, it's a well acted and scripted film.  Obviously the idea of a single dad is more commonplace today, although dealing with it at a moments notice doesn't lessen the impact.  While I appreciate and respect the quality of the work, it's not a film that requires a second viewing.
 
Rating: 8/10
Movies I've previously seen: 3
First time viewings: 33

No comments:

Post a Comment