Friday, February 15, 2013

Movie #37- "The Doors" (1991)

Music is another passion that I have in life.   Grade school memories of going to the local drug store and purchasing the latest 45s.  When I got to junior high, I graduated to the LP, with artists like Cheap Trick, Rush, and REO Speedwagon (the first three albums I bought).  Technology has been great for music fans, with so much available at your fingertips.  I do miss the days of combing through bins of records, searching for those rarities.  So naturally, I would gravitate to movies about music.
The Doors are a group I have a split opinion.  A copy of their greatest hits is enough to suffice for me.  I like them musically.  I've even had the pleasure of meeting Ray Manzarek when I was in college (nice guy).  But I was never drawn into the world of Jim Morrison.  I just didn't get his mystic persona or his poetry.
Admittedly, "The Doors" may not be the starting point in trying to understand Jim Morrison. Some truths are buried in the psychedelic illusions that punctuate the film.  Yet "The Doors" does nothing to improve the image of Morrison or change my perception.  I also noticed in the credits that Manzarek did not assist in the film.  I'll give props to Val Kilmer, who gives a stunning portrayal of Morrison.  And I've had "Break On Through" stuck in my head for days.  In the end, this Oliver Stone film fell flat for me.  I still just like the Doors musically.

Rating: 5/10
Movies I've previously seen: 3
First time viewings: 34

No comments:

Post a Comment