Thursday, February 28, 2013

Movie #48- "Bad Teacher" (2011)

This entry was the result of Movie Channel Roulette.  I didn't have a particular movie in mind, so I flipped on the television and weighed the option of available movies starting within the hour.  The choices were obviously slim that afternoon.
"Bad Teacher" attempts to do to teaching what "Bad Santa" did to Christmas.  It's a partial success. 
On the plus side (Spoiler Alert), the fact that the teacher is question doesn't really seem to learn from her mistakes, and gets away with her scheme.  Sometimes bad people do bad things and don't get caught... it's life.  She also winds up with the Jason Segel character not because she's in love with him, but more because they share personality traits.  I didn't sense a real future between the two.  And there were moments that make me laugh, although the overall movie wasn't as funny as it should have been. 
On the down side, Cameron Diaz has that fun, party girl vibe, but Charlize Theron did a better job pulling off the darker side in "Young Adult".  Then there's Justin Timberlake.  Whenever he hosts Saturday Live Night, the guy is hilarious.  Yet he has not been able to make consistent choices in movie roles.  In "Bad Teacher", he's central to the plot, however the writers didn't seem to have a direction for the character.
I do know that I wouldn't want any of the teachers in this film near my child (if I had a child), and that includes the "good" teacher.  "Bad Teacher" may have to be held back.
 

Rating: 5/10
Movies I've previously seen: 4
First time viewings: 44

No comments:

Post a Comment