Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Movie #41- "Casablanca" (1941)

Older, classic movies were difficult to find when I was a kid.  Cable television didn't hit our neighborhood until I was in high school and an inexpensive VCR didn't come until later.  Since my father thought paying for television was ridiculous, I didn't have cable or VCR until I got to college.  So unless a movie received a re-release, commercial television was your only option.  The list of pre-1970 films that I haven't seen, in their entirety, is a lengthy one.
I see why people adore "Casablanca".  A classic love story with a brilliant screenplay and great dialogue (and an often misquoted line).  What impressed me was the flow of the film.  There doesn't appear to be a wasted scene in "Casablanca."  The plot is immediately in motion and the film is always moving.  Even with knowledge of the ending, it did not take away from the viewing pleasure.  I should have seen this entry earlier in life.

Rating: 10/10
Movies I've previously seen: 4
First time viewings: 37

No comments:

Post a Comment