Friday, January 11, 2013

Movie #10- "Rocky III" (1982)

I basically stopped watching the Rocky series after "Rocky II".  I did see "Rocky Balboa"... it was free.  I missed Rocky fighting Clubber Lang, robots, aliens, and zombie Apollo Creed (I'm guessing).   If I were to take a stab at the plots of the remaining films, it's probably Rocky overcoming the odds to beat an opponent who is a better fighter.  I doubt Rocky pummeling lesser fighters, senior citizens, and coma patients for 90 minutes would make an interesting movie (maybe 15 minutes... only so much blood lust a person can handle).  So I headed into "Rocky III" and "Eye of the Tiger", which was a song you couldn't get away from in 1982 and was required to be used in every sports montage.
I think what caught me most about this film was Mr. T.  This was before he became a punchline.  That's a shame because in watching him, he's scary in this film.  He displays some real anger.  I believe he wants to rip Rocky's head off, then use it as a punching bag.  And given Rocky's attitude, I'm kind of rooting for that to happen.  Does that make me a bad person?
Obviously we know the outcome given that "Rocky IV" appeared 3 years later.  A nice piece of nostalgia that doesn't really need a second viewing.

Rating: 6/10
Movies I've previously seen: 2
First time viewings: 8

No comments:

Post a Comment