Thursday, January 31, 2013

Movie #24- "Seven Psychopaths" (2012)

I really wanted to love this movie.  "In Bruges"(also from Martin McDonagh) was a nice change from the usual hitman movie, and I was expecting more of the same.  Instead, I simply liked it.  This isn't to take away from some of the high notes this film hits.  There are some great visuals contained in "Seven Psychopaths" along with some cool passages of dialogue.  And I can't forget to mention Christopher Walken, who is usually worth a watch.
However, this movie can be broken down into two parts.  The first half contains plenty of violence as the search of a missing dog begins.  We get to the second half, and the tone shifts, becoming more thoughtful and reflective as the characters discuss a screenplay Colin Farrell is working on, called "Seven Psychopaths."  Don't worry, still plenty of violence.  And the screenplay is the main focal point of the film, with the dog kidnapping acting as a catalyst.
I appreciate what McDonagh was trying to do.  I liked each half separately, but it didn't work for me as a whole.  It was a movie that you enjoy, but something seems a little off.  With that being said, I would still be interested in the next project from McDonagh. 


Rating: 6/10
Movies I've previously seen: 2
First time viewings: 22

No comments:

Post a Comment