Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Movie #2- "Pom Wonderful Presents: The Greatest Movie Ever Sold" (2011)


Okay, I admit this is an odd choice for the second movie in this project.  I've had several friends offer suggestions to some of the classic films that I've missed over the years.  Call this one the "Netflix effect."  Everyone has done it.  You rent a movie before the holidays, with the thought of watching it.  Then it sits on your desk for a few weeks, getting buried by mail, magazines, and various other items.  I pulled it out of the pile a couple days ago, and decided that this would be the day this disc would greet my DVD player.  Good choice.
I had a vague idea on the focus.  Morgan Spurlock would try to use product placement as a means to finance his film.  Product placement has become more prominent in our entertainment choices and the idea seemed to be latching on to this increasing trend.  However, watching Spurlock go through the process, and the pro and con commentary makes for an interesting watch.  But is it a documentary or a brazen piece of advertising?  Can it be both?  Should it be both?
I dig Spurlock, and not just his films, but also the television series "30 Days."  Since the film centers around his quest, your enjoyable depends on your tolerance of him.

Rating: 7/10
Movies I've previously seen: 1
First time viewings: 1

No comments:

Post a Comment