Sunday, January 6, 2013

Movie #5- "This Is 40" (2012)

Paul Rudd reminds me of John Cusack.  They both have that likable,  "everyman" quality.  The kind of guy that could steal your girl, and you'd still have a beer with him the following week.  While I realize that Cusack's career has gone in a different direction, someone should put the two of them in a comedy together as brothers.  And at times, Rudd appears to play the adult/older versions of characters Cusack played when he was younger.  Pete from "This Is 40" could easily be the future version of Rob from "High Fidelity".  Maybe a little angrier than Rob, but a logical step if Rob got married and had kids.
"This Is 40" is Judd Apatow's answer to the rom-com, an occasional messy look at marriage and family.  I think most couples will find a moment or two in which they can relate to the characters.  Our moment was an odd one, when they are discussing music in the car.  Pete is jamming to the Pixies while his wife would rather be listening to Lady Gaga.  A common occurrence in our car is for my wife to be asking "What are we listening to?" while I'm driving.  She got a Bruno Mars CD for Christmas while I'll be downloading the Graham Parker release they were promoting in the movie.  In fact, I kind of want his job (Pete owns a record label that produces artists he admired while probably in college).  Well, the job minus the debt.

Rating: 8/10
Movies I've previously seen: 1
First time viewings: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment