Saturday, January 5, 2013

Movie #3- "Captain America: The First Avenger" (2011)

2012 was a very good year for the super hero movie.  The Avengers, Batman, and Spiderman all made appearances, cleaning up at the box office.  And I had the opportunity to see all of those movies.  2011 had its share of super hero movies, but none of them really inspired me like this past year.  Captain America, Thor, Green Lantern, and the Green Hornet just didn't offer the same appeal as the 2012 crop of action films.  But I decided to go back to watch "Captain America" because of "The Avengers".
And for that, I have to give Marvel credit.  They whetted our appetite for this film a few years ago and continued to build on that promise.  I'm not a comic book geek, but throwing Samuel L. Jackson in at the end of "Iron Man" caught my attention.  Who the hell is Nick Fury and why is he in this movie?  An excellent job of building anticipation even for those of us not in the know.  However, when "The Avengers" finally arrives, but haven't seen the other movies leading up to it, you have almost a sense of obligation to go back and watch them.
Unfortunately, working in that mode also brings a bit of disappointment.  As much as I enjoyed "The Avengers", "Captain America" was a bit of a let down.  I expected some of the cheese that would go with the character, but felt that they didn't fully deliver on a promising idea.  Tommy Lee Jones though, is someone I enjoy watching regardless of the movie.  Maybe "Thor" may pop up later this year.

Rating: 6/10
Movies I've previously seen: 1
First time viewings: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment