Thursday, January 17, 2013

Movie #16- "Jeff, Who Lives at Home" (2011)

Until about the middle of 2012, I had a limited knowledge of Mark Duplass and his brother Jay.  I'm a fan of "The League", so I was aware of Mark's work as Pete on that show.  Unknown to me was his "other" career as a writer/director.   "Cyrus" served as an introduction, followed by "Safety Not Guaranteed" (which Mark stars in and serves as an Executive Producer) and that lead me to "Jeff, Who Lives At Home."
This is the kind of movie I enjoy.  Low budget, quirky characters, some laughs along the way with a few surprises.  Films that offer some correlation to real life and situations that are part of the human experience.  In this case, it's finding your purpose in life and wasted potential.  And depending on your belief system, that small, random incidents could be signs of greater things.  I'm curious about their other films, especially in regards to the camera work as they zoom in-and-out on characters, which at first is jarring, then you gradually except it. 
No big summation here, just a small, enjoyable film.


Rating: 7/10
Movies I've previously seen: 2
First time viewings: 14

No comments:

Post a Comment