Monday, January 14, 2013

Movie #13- "Taken 2" (2012)






When the original "Taken" came out in 2008, it was unexpected.  Here was 56 year old Liam Neeson headlining an action film, a guy not known for that genre.  With plenty of Neeson kicking ass and a great speech about having "a particular set of skills", the movie had a good run at the box office.  A sequel wasn't necessary, but with money to be made, four years later we get "Taken 2".
I remember several people telling me how excited they were to see the movie.  And yet, I never heard anyone talking about it after the fact.  That lead me to believe that either they didn't see it or it wasn't very good.  I've seen "Taken 2" and it was obviously the latter.
The plot seemed simple enough, revenge.  Plausible idea, and the filmmakers felt the need to up the ante by including the entire family for this adventure.  So far, I'm with you.  Then it takes 30 minutes before the actual "taken" aspect of the film to finally happens.  You're starting to lose me since I don't really need an update of Neeson and the family.  Then his unlikely ally turns out to be his daughter.  It falls apart for me from there.
Unfortunately this one also did well at the box office and the door is wide open for "Taken 3".  Maybe this one will add a new family member, Aunt Nelly, who is visiting the Mills family from Florida.

Rating: 4/10
Movies I've previously seen: 2
First time viewings: 11

No comments:

Post a Comment