Friday, January 11, 2013

Movie #9- "Road House" (1989)





Technically, I am not a "child of the 80's".  70's would be more accurate.  However, I did spend half the decade in college, a time in which my tastes in music, movies, and television were really honed.  So I revel in 80's pop culture.  I've seen my fair share of cheese from that decade, but this film had eluded me.  It showed up on a cable movie channel last month, and after watching about 20 minutes, I came to the conclusion that this had to be viewed in its entirety.
Gratuitous violence and nudity along with 80's fashion, "Road House" really screams the decade.  It's funny that they gave Swayze's character a degree in philosophy, not that he's quoting Nietzsche or Descartes while kicking ass.  I guess that makes him deep.  There was one odd quote in the movie that I'm not sure of the intention.  During a fight scene, a character battling Swayze says, "I used to f**k guys like you in prison."  Is that supposed to be threatening, or is the character letting Swayze know he's available if the romance with Kelly Lynch doesn't work? 
The rating is based more on comedic entertainment value than actual quality. 

Rating: 6/10
Movies I've previously seen: 2
First time viewings: 7

No comments:

Post a Comment