Thursday, January 24, 2013

Movie #21- "The Thin Man" (1934)

There have been talks about Hollywood remaking "The Thin Man".  I understand the reasons.  A perfect combination of murder mystery and fast-paced comedy.  At the same, I also understand how Hollywood will screw it up.  They've tried in the past to update the screwball comedies of the 1930s and 40s with seemingly limited success.  I'm sure dollar signs are dancing in someone's head at the potential of another franchise.
Personally I was surprised by the amount of enjoyment the movie provided me.  Nick and Nora were a treat to watch, and could probably drink Delta House under the table while referring to it as a "light breakfast."  It would be interesting to see how an update would handle the alcohol consumption (although I'm still against it). 
I knew that "The Thin Man" would be a breezy, lightweight comedy yet I wasn't expecting the film noir aspect so common of movies from that period.  The dinner scene involving all the suspects is pure fun and the highlight of the film.  Seven movies were made in the series and they even added a child.  Apparently Nick and Nora needed someone to act as bartender.   

Rating: 8/10
Movies I've previously seen: 2
First time viewings: 19

No comments:

Post a Comment